A Journal and a Key

Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

A few days ago, my daughter Lydia returned from a trip to Sanibel Island with a gift for my youngest daughter Mara. She was thrilled to have her very first journal, replete with mermaid cover, and lock with key to keep the thoughts and artistry of a 6-year old safe. It was the perfect gift for a little girl who’s reading and writing skills have exploded this summer. Post it notes with hastily scribbled “I love you”, “I am sorry”, “Can we go to the pool”, and whatever else pings in her little mind is her thing at the moment. 

Yesterday Mara came to me, journal key with yarn in hand, and asked, “Daddy, can you tie the key to the ring on my journal?” To which I replied, “Well baby, then anyone can get into your journal and see what you wrote or drew.” To which she replied, “That’s ok.” Damn, she didn’t even think twice about her answer. Nothing to hide. She is an open book…err journal.

There is an age at which the contents of her heart and mind will not be as readily accessible. Other than “making” Pickles the hamster do flips on the couch, or sneaking another cheese stick out of the fridge, her offenses of today pale in comparison with those of tomorrow. Whatever those may be. Ugh. Yes, there will come a time when she will make decisions she is not proud of, and as a result just might not be honest with us. As a parent I dread it. We want our children to communicate with us with ease. We want or children to come to us with confidence knowing our love of them precedes anything that they think could jeopardize it. In a perfect world they come to us with key on yarn, heart in hand, and saying, help me deal with this.

Well, against my burning sense of what is logical, I did what she asked of me, but better. Off of the garage shelf of I am not going to throw this away because I will find a use for it, I mined a length of chain that would suit this mini-project to a tee. I was quite proud of myself for being resourceful and not compromising, but rather complimenting and enhancing the overall aesthetics of the journal. Mara weighed in with a quick, “Thanks Dada.” She obviously was not as impressed with my handiness as I was. And she was off, writing on post it notes and into her journal, and onto my heart. 

God desires us to come to him in everything. We can’t hide a thing, so talk to Him in everything. Come to the one who will give you rest. Come to the one who seeks the burdens of your heart and soul. Chain the key to your heart’s burdens to the cross of Jesus Christ, and His love will be written on your heart, correcting and guiding your way. 

Comments

Ashley Jones said…
Love this...and that girl of yours
Unknown said…
Great post! I for one appreciate your handiwork, nice job with that chain! Can you make me a chain wallet?
Unknown said…
Oh, Pastor Steve, this was so wonderful. I read it aloud to Jim and we both commented that we could hear you telling this story. We miss your sermons and seeing you. We are in Minnesota now but plan to be back in Tequesta in September for four weeks. We will come to your new church and bring Ella. I know she would love to see you, too. Pat and Jim Hanson

Popular posts from this blog

Ecclesiastes 7:9 Do not be quick to anger, for anger lodges in the bosom of fools.

Three Blondes and a Brunette Brewery